Wednesday, September 4, 2013

To Talk

A new poem I've been working on.  It's about my struggle with selective mutism.

To talk

Heart thump thump thump
In my throat a lump
Head racing
Palms sweating
Lights flashing
World crashing
Stop
Slow motion pen drop

Tick- tok tick- tok
Brain question roadblock
Say something
I have nothing
What did she ask
An answer shouldn't be such a task
Come on think think think
Eyes blink
She's looking at me
Deep breath in and out calmly

It's no use my lungs are glass
I look out at the sassafras
I try to say just a word
But her eyes aren't on me anymore
I wish Like others it would be easy to talk 
Instead out the window I gawk

Eventually she will say something
Maybe a new subject matter she will bring
If I'm lucky I'll find my voice
As if all along it was a choice

No comments:

Post a Comment