Sunday, September 1, 2013

Speaking fan fiction for "Speak"

I hope all enjoy I've put a lot of work into this and I am totally open to constructive criticism!  This is set as the novel "speak"ends.  I'll be posting more parts as I finish writing and quick proofing them.  The second part is started already!

Speaking- fan fiction for "Speak" by L.H. Anderson

* disclaimer * "Speak"is owned by the writer, and many of the concepts and characters I use come from her also; howeve, the fiction below is my work.

Part 1

*Mr Freeman*

"Let me tell you about it"
 The words hung in the air a moment I nodded nonchalantly hoping the shock I felt wouldn't discourage my student from telling me her story.  I knew she had a story all this time a shell of a girl barely making it through each day but I could see behind her eyes a light, a glimmer lighting up inside her when she worked.  

"Last summer I went to this party with a bunch of my friends.  it was a high school party we were just out of eight grade.  It was crazy. I felt lost.  Their was a senior there.  he was stunning and popular And he was talking to me.  I was drunk. He cornered me.  I said no."

I see the warm tears running down her face and I wipe them lightly.  

A desperate plea, "he raped me"

I meet her eyes, sad ,pitiful, pathetic.  Her guard has never been so low.  Is this Melinda? I lift her chin.

"You are the bravest young lady I have ever met"
Her eyes flash down
"No I really mean it Melinda, you have tried so hard, fought day and night, and you survived you are here things only get better from here."

I have an idea the image of my mural.  It's Melinda, it's a tree a strong elegant crippled but coming back to life tree.  I walk over to my wall. Three lines, roots, leaves.  
She asks what I'm doing
I grab a flyer for the summer art program, I hand it to her. 

 "I'll see you next Monday."

She looks blankly at me but stands and walks away.

* Melinda*

Mr. Freeman must be out of his mind.  Who just walks away after their student pours their heart out to him.  I hate him.  I love him.  I love that he didn't make me answer questions or sit in pure awkwardness.
But I phfft at him as I leave the room despite that.  I don't think he heard.

I know what I'm doing this summer now.  I don't know why I want to agree to this.  He tested my limits all year.

I start to walk home but as soon as I'm outside the school my mom runs over to me.  Hugs.  She must have found out.  She says I don't have to talk.  We get in the car.

My voice comes out without me even condoning it. 
 "I want to tell you what happened."

She turns, I can see the shock on her face but she doesn't say anything.

I began and tell her everything from beginning to end.  The story is getting easier to tell but the words taste bitter in my mouth.

We get home and my father waits out front.  I have to tell The story again, and again when we go to the police to file a report, and again, and again.  I really should write it on the back of my hand and read it when people ask.  A girls not allowed to forget is she.

I'm insta-popular.  Everyone is calling asking how I am and their so sorry for what happened, blah blah blah blah blah.  Outcast to everyone's BFF in one day flat.  I should remind them how I couldn't join any group or talk to them in public yesterday.

Our phone is ringing off the hook.  I smash our phone.  My parents watch, I don't get in trouble.

I appreciate your time, don't forget to comment with thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment